The Zamorin’s Guruvayurappan college is one of the oldest institutions in the country celebrating its 138th t anniversary. It is located in Kozhikode, popularly called The City of Zamorin’s. This verdant campus nestling on top of a hill called Krishnagiri Hills, 8 Kms away from the heart of the city, spans a vast area of 92 acres. The green campus provides the ideal environment for a healthy, creative, learning-oriented context.
Our patrons have provided us with a healthy, beautiful and green ambience and a tradition which is well anchored in the rich history of Kerala. The city of Calicut, popularly called the City of Zamorins, reflects this tradition. We thus place a lot of importance on imparting traditional cultural values to our students. Our innovative course (M.Sc. Health & Yoga Therapy) and the add-on courses in Communicative Sanskrit and Yoga Therapy stand testimony to this. We also anticipate the requirements of a globalized society.
The English school started in June 1877 to impart English education to the members of the Zamorin’s family, marked the beginning of the great educational institution which later played a vital role in shaping the educational and intellectual life of Malabar. The school began functioning in the Zamorin’s palace at Tali. In the very next year the school was thrown open to all caste. Hindu boys and was given the name “Kerala Vidyasala”.
This institution was connected to the Madras University as a Second Grade college in February 1879. The name “Kerala Vidyasala” was given up in 1900 and this institution was renamed ‘The Zamorin’s College’. Till the year 1904, The Zamorin himself administrated the affairs of the college. The same year The Zamorin Raja constituted a Board of Management. Eleven years later, i.e., in 1915 the Court of Wards took over the Management of the Zamorin’s Estate and college. And in the same year the college was thrown open to all people irrespective of caste, creed and color. On the court of Wards relinquishing the management in 1927, the Zamorin constituted a Board of management comprising seven members.
The Guruvayur Devaswam sanctioned an annual grant Rs.5000 for the development of the college in 1927. For the maintenance of the college the HRE Board sanctioned RS. 1 lakh from the Guruvayur Devaswam Fund in 1951. The same year the new site “Pokkunnu” covering an area of 92 acres was bought by the management for the college. In 1952 permission was accorded to divert RS 5 lakhs surplus of the Guruvayur Devaswam funds to the college. The name of the institution was changed into “The Guruvayurappan College” in grateful recognition of the manificient gift from the Guruvayur Devaswam without which it would not have been possible to raise the college to First Grade Status. In 1955, the college was shifted to the campus in Pokkunnu about 8 km east of Calicut railway station. The name of the college was again modified to read as “The Zamorin’s Guruvayurappan College” in the year 1981.
In 1956 the college was affiliated to the University of Travancore which became the university of Kerala in1958. At present the college stands affiliated to the University of Calicut which came in to existence in 1968. The present governing body of the college is constituted as per the provisions of the Calicut University Act
Since shifting to Pokkunnu systematic efforts have been made to develop the campus and continuous extension of buildings have been undertaken. The college has a student strength of on 31st March 2013 and teaching staff numbering 71 and non-teaching staff numbering 35 in 2013-2014